Note: For every cup of all purpose flour, remove two tablespoons of the flour and add in two tablespoons of corn starch.
Combine the ingredients in a sifter. Sift together four times. (I like to sift it into one bowl, scoop it out, and sift it back into the same bowl.) And store in a tight container.
Instead buying of cake flour... this is what I do.
Last December I went to New York with my mom and some friends. While we were there we took the opportunity to go to Red ribbons A Filipino famous bakery goods. I bought Mango cake I know my family loves. This gives me an idea to bake it myself to save money. Lucky me i did find a simple recipe. I baked it once and it was very tastey. even it calls for cake flour. because i don't want to spend so much money I
made my own cake flour. And it works. The mango chiffon cake came out good and my family approved it. The only thing I did not do was the frost. You can do how you want your cake. But to me without the frost the cake still good.
Here are the ingredients and directions.
- cake flour - 2 cups, sifted
- granulated sugar - 3/4 cup
- baking powder - 1 Tablespoon
- egg whites - 7
- cream of tartar - 1/2 teaspoon
- granulated sugar - 3/4 cup
- egg yolks - 7
- corn oil - 1/2 cup
- mango juice - 3/4 cup (canned or bottled juice is fine)
- lemon flavoring - 1 teaspoon
- fresh mango - 1 cup cut in cubes, from a whole mango
- butter - 1 cup, softened
- heavy cream - 1/4 cup
- mango nectar - 1/4 cup (canned or bottled juice is fine), for cake icing
- confectioners' sugar - 3 cups
- lemon flavoring - 1 teaspoon, for cake icing
- golden yellow food color - 1/4 teaspoon (optional)
- fresh mango - 1 piece, peeled, pitted, sliced in strips, for cake decoration
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together the dry ingredients: cake flour, 3/4 cup granulated sugar, baking powder. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, at highest speed, beat the eggwhites and cream of tartar together. When there are high peaks and hardly any bubbles left, slowly add the 3/4 cup granulated sugar, a few tablespoons at a time. When peaks form and whites are shiny, put aside.
- In another mixing bowl, make a well of all the dry ingredients. In the center add : oil, yolks, mango juice, lemon flavoring. Beat with the mixer at medium speed till blended. This should only take about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Into the yellow mango batter, add the cubes of mango fruit, by folding with a spatula.
- Finally, fold the mango mix very gradually into the eggwhites. Try to do the folding in 3 batches, to prevent the eggwhites from dropping.
- Pour batter into a greased round tube pan, measuring 8 inches in diameter, 4 inches high. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or test for doneness.
- When done, cool on counter for a few minutes. Then loosen edges from the round tube pan, invert and take the cake out to cool. It should be completely cooled before adding any of the Mango icing.
- How to make the MANGO BUTTERCREAM ICING (makes 2 1/2 cups)
- In a mixing bowl, at high speed, mix together the softened butter and 1 cup confectioners' sugar. Cream and blend well till smooth.
- Gradually add in alternating order, a few tablespoons at a time : confectioners' sugar, heavy cream, and mango juice. Begin and end with the confectioners' sugar.
- Add the lemon flavoring and blend well.
- Finally, add the golden yellow food coloring. Mix well. Refrigerate the icing till ready to use on cake.
- After icing the cake, garnish mango slices on top in a spiral manner .
Tonight is superbowl. Sad to say Patriots did not make it but we are routing for 49s because Raven cause our team Pats not to be in Superbow this year.
Even Pats not on the game we still have to watch it. I prepare special food. For a change I cook the meatballs in different as how I usually prepare.
This time I made Cranberry chilli meatballs which my family loves it. Surprisingly my mom loves this recipe.
Anyway Here are the Ingredients and direction to prepare. So easy...
- 1 can (14 ounces) jellied cranberry sauce
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) chili sauce
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 package (32 ounces) frozen fully cooked homestyle meatballs, thawed
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the first six ingredients; stir until sugar is dissolved. Add meatballs; cook for 20-25 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.